This recipe appeared in Waitrose’s Kitchen magazine in May 2014. Enough for 4 people as a side dish:
- 500g small new potatoes
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil (good quality)
- Juice 1/4 lemon
- 4 spring onions (finely sliced)
- 4 cornichons (chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp capers (drained)
- 6 sprigs of flat leaf parsley (finely chopped)
- 6 sprigs of fresh tarragon (finely chopped)
Cook the potatoes (boil for about 15-20 minutes until cooked).
Meanwhile, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, oil and lemon juice in a large bowl.
Drain the potatoes (reserving 2 tbsp of the cooking liquid). Return to the pan, and allow to dry over a gentle heat for about 2 minutes.
Cut the warm potatoes in half and add to the mayonnaise mixture, together with the reserved cooking liquid. Toss to combine, and set aside to cool.
When cool add the spring onions, cornichons, capers and herbs.
I served mine with smoked mackerel, horseradish (combined with creme fraiche) and beetroot.