I made a large batch of this, which provided:
- 1 portion with added kale (cooked for 3 minutes in the stew);
- 2 portions of pancakes (with 4 large pancakes, bechamel sauce, and grated parmesan; baked for about 25 minutes at 180C (Gas Mark 4);
- 2 portions of ‘shepherds’ pie (with mashed potato); baked for about 25 minutes at 180C (Gas Mark 4).
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 large carrot (chopped)
- 2 sticks celery (chopped)
- 1 red pepper (cored, deseeded and chopped)
- 150g mushrooms (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- A large pinch of dried oregano
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 120g green lentils
- 400ml vegi-stock
- Black pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Stir in the onion, carrot, celery and red pepper, and cook gently for 10 minutes. Turn up the heat, and stir in the mushrooms and garlic, and stir-cook for two minutes.
Stir in the oregano, tomatoes, lentils and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 40 minutes, until the lentils are cooked. Season with black pepper to taste.
If not all used immediately, allow to cool and store in the fridge (using within the next few days).