Another soup made from beans, root vegetables and cabbage:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (chopped)
- 3 bacon rashers (thinly sliced)
- 1 largish potato (diced)
- Piece of swede (same size as the potato – diced)
- 550mls vegi stock
- 1/2 400g tin of cannellini beans (drained)
- 100g cavolo nero or savoy cabbage (roughly chopped, with thick stalks removed)
- 1 tbsp basil pesto
- Seasoning (black pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice)
Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the bacon and stir-fry until it just begins to brown. Turn down the heat and gently cook the onions for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, potato and swede, and cook for a further 3 minutes.
Then add the stock. Bring to the boil, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes. Turn up the heat and stir in the beans and cabbage, add more water (if necessary), and cook for a further 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Stir in the pesto and season to taste. Serve.