I had half a can of red kidney beans, and most of the other ingredients, so this seemed like a good winter supper. This is another recipe adapted from Waitrose’s ‘Harvest 2015′ booklet. Enough for 4 people:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 leek (chopped)
- 3 tsp ‘cajun’ seasoning
- 1 chilli (deseeded and finely chopped)
- 1 courgette (roughly chopped)
- 1 red pepper (cored, deseeded and roughly chopped)
- 200g parsnips (peeled and diced)
- 60g brown rice
- 60g Camargue and wild rice
- 160g can of sweetcorn (drained)
- 1/2 a 400g can red kidney beans
- 1/2 a 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 400ml vegi stock
- Black pepper (to taste)
Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the leeks and gently cook for 5 minutes. Add the Cajun seasoning and chilli and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the courgette, red pepper, parsnip and the rice, and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Stir in the sweetcorn, the beans, the tomatoes and the stock. Bring to the boil, cover, and simmer for about 35 minutes until the rice is cooked (add more stock if necessary). Season with black pepper to taste.
I served mine with avocado (mashed with a little lemon juice) and grated cheddar.