This is good to eat on a cold winter’s day! Adapted from a recipe in Waitrose’s ‘Harvest 2015’ booklet. Enough for 4 people:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 3cm cube of ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 red chilli (deseeded and finely chopped)
- 2 large carrots (diced)
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 250g red split lentils
- 160ml can of coconut cream
- 550ml vegetable stock
- 100g frozen peas
- 50g chopped almonds
- 2 large tomatoes (skinned, deseeded and chopped)
- Torn fresh coriander
- Lemon juice (to taste)
- Flat breads (heated in accordance with the instructions on the packet)
Heat the oil in a heavy pan. Add the onion and cook gently for 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, ginger and chilli, and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Stir in the carrots and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Add the curry powder, lentils, coconut cream and the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer (covered) for about 20 minutes (until the carrots and the lentils are soft). Take off the heat and roughly mash the mixture with a potato masher.
Add the peas and the chopped almonds, and gently cook for a further 5 minutes. Then stir in the tomatoes and add lemon juice to taste.
Sprinkle with coriander and serve with warm flat breads.