This recipe is based on one in this month’s Waitrose Kitchen. Enough for two:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (chopped)
- 1 small red chilli (cored, deseeded and chopped)
- 1 largish carrot (diced)
- 3 spicy pork sausages (sliced (3cm thickness))
- 350mls meat stock (about 1/3rd of a beef stock cube is fine)
- 1/2 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 400g tin of cannellini beans (drained)
- 100g cavolo nero (roughly chopped, with thick stalks removed)
- A small bunch of parsley
- Seasoning (black pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice)
Heat the oil in a large pan. Stir in the onions and gently cook for 3 minutes. The stir in the garlic, chilli and the carrots, and cook for a further 3 minutes. Add the sausage slices and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
The add the stock, tomatoes and beans. Bring to the boil, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
Then turn up the heat and stir in the cavolo nero, add more water (if necessary), and cook for a further 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Stir in the parsley and add seasoning to taste.