- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 aubergine (chopped into largish chunks)
- 1 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 celery sticks (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 a large red pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 tbsp capers (rinsed)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed or finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 750g ripe tomatoes (cored, deseeded and sliced (save the liquid from the tomatoes by rubbing the seeds though a sieve))
- Black pepper
- 1/4 of a lemon
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- A handful of basil leaves
Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a large heavy pan. Fry the aubergine chunks in hot oil until they begin to colour. Turn down the heat and add the remaining oil. Add the onion, celery, pepper, capers, garlic and raisins, and cook gently until the mixture is soft.
Spread the mixture over a large baking tray and scatter the tomatoes over the top. Mix together the tomato liquid, pepper, lemon juice, vinegar and sugar, and pour this mixture over the vegetables.
Cook in the oven at 140C (Gas mark 1) for about a hour or until the tomatoes begin to fall apart (I cooked mine (in the top of the oven) with slow roasted lamb, increasing the oven temperature to 140C for the final hour). mix in the basil leaves before serving.