This is an adaptation of a Jack Munroe recipe. Enough for 4 unless you’re really hungry:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (peeled and finely chopped/crushed)
- 1 chilli (deseeded and finely chopped)
- 120g brown rice
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- Hot water (twice the volume of the rice – put the uncooked rice in a measuring jug before you start, and use double that amount of water)
- 1 tsp vegi-stock powder
- 1 courgette (finely sliced)
- Black pepper
- 80g grated cheddar
Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add the onion and cook gently for 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and chilli, and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the rice, mix well, and cook for another 2 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes, the hot water and the stock powder. Bring to the boil and simmer gently until the rice has cooked.
Turn out the rice into a shallow ovenproof dish. Cover the surface with courgette slices. Grind over black pepper to taste, and sprinkle the cheese on top.
Cook in the oven at 180C (Gas Mark 4) for 25 minutes (or until the cheese starts to brown). Serve.