I made this with the remains of the tinned tomatoes I used for Lamb Tagine. This would make enough for pasta for 4 people (if you use a full tin of tomatoes it won’t really matter, but you could use a larger onion and another clove of garlic):
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium sized onion (finely sliced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 large pinch of dried oregano
- 1 large pinch of dried basil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 270g tinned chopped tomatoes
Heat the oil into a medium sized saucepan (one that has a lid).
Add the onions and garlic and gently cook for 5 minutes. Add the herbs and cook for a further 3 minutes.
Combine the tomatoes with the onion mixture and add some black pepper. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat so that the mixture simmers very gently. Place the lid on the saucepan and cook for 20 minutes.
When cooked, purée with a handheld blender (or liquidise). This will keep in the fridge for at least a week.