I used these roast chicken thighs as a topping for noodle soup. I bought a pack of four chicken thighs and boned them (this is fairly simple as there is only one large bone to deal with – you just locate the bone, cut into the flesh lying over it and then cut all the way round, between the flesh and the bone, and cut the flesh away from the bone at either end).
Marinate the chicken thighs in a mixture of a generous tablespoon of Hoisin sauce and a dessert spoon of cooking oil. Cover and leave in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Then place the chicken in a roasting dish and brush with any remaining marinade. Roast in the oven at 180C (Gas Mark 4) for about 30 minutes.
I made some stock with the bones, a carrot (sliced), an onion (quartered) and a stick of celery (sliced), plus a little chopped garlic and ginger, and a pinch of five spice powder. Cover in water, bring to the boil and simmer for a few hours, adding more water if necessary. Then strain the liquid, discarding the vegetables and the bones.
To complete the soup for 2 people:
- A piece of ginger about 2cm square (chopped)
- 1 red chilli (deseeded and chopped)
- 1 clove of garlic (chopped)
- Chicken stock (see above)
- A generous dash of soy sauce
- 4 spring onions (fairly finely sliced)
- Green vegetables (eg a two handfuls of spinach, pak choi, or similar)
- Other vegetables (optional) – say baby sweet corn or mange tout etc
- Chinese noodles for 2 people (cooked in accordance with the instructions on the packet)
- Hoi sin roast chicken thighs (see above), sliced
Heat a little oil in a large saucepan. Add the ginger, chilli and garlic. Stir fry for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and the soy sauce. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
Depending on the vegetable you are using, add them to the stock (adding the ones that take longer to cook earlier – eg if using baby sweet corn, add these about 3 minutes before the spring onions and the green vegetables). Add more boiling water if necessary.
When the vegetables are cooked, serve the soup by dividing the noodles between two large bowls. The add the soup and top with the sliced chicken.