This is a quick hearty soup for supper (enough for 3).
- Olive oil
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 medium carrot (diced)
- 1 stick celery (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and chopped)
- 200g passata (or half a tin of chopped tomatoes)
- 1 litre hot water
- 1 heaped teaspoon vegi-stock powder
- large pinch of oregano
- 1 large courgette (sliced)
- 2 handfuls of pasta (something similar to macaroni is good, but any pasta will do)
- about 20 green beans (topped, and cut in half)
- 1 tin borlotti beans (drained)
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 80g finely grated Parmigiano (or strong cheddar)
Heat a small amount of oil in a large saucepan. Add the diced onion, carrot and celery, and fry gently for about 5 minutes (this is the Italian ‘soffritto‘ which is the basis of many Italian dishes). Add the garlic and fry for another 2 minutes.
Add the passata. the hot water, the stock powder and the oregano. Stir and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes, then add the courgette and continue to simmer.
After 5 minutes add the pasta and simmer more rapidly for about 7 minutes. The add the green beans and simmer for another 2 minutes, then add the borlotti beans and simmer for about 2 more minutes.
Make sure the pasta is cooked (if not simmer a little longer). Then add black pepper to taste, and serve with grated cheese.