This is a very hearty soup (translates from Portuguese as ‘green soup’) made with potatoes and cabbage. The recipe below will be enough for three (as a starter) or two as a main course:
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 2 (total weight 100g) chorizo cooking sausages (sliced)
- 300g old potatoes (thinly sliced)
- 850ml water
- 1 tsp vegi-stock powder
- 200g green cabbage (I used the inside leaves of a ‘pointed cabbage’ which were yellow rather than green, as you can see in the image above) (sliced)
- 1 generous tbsp of basil pesto
- freshly ground black pepper, salt, lemon juice etc, to taste
Heat a small amount of oil in a large saucepan. add the onion and gently fry for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and the chorizo and gently fry for another 3 minutes. Add the potatoes and stir well. Gently fry for a further minute.
Add the stock powder and the water, stir well. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the cabbage and the pesto, stir well, and simmer for a further 7 minutes.
Season to taste and serve.