Enough for four:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 red pepper (cored, seeded and roughly chopped)
- 500g sweet potato (peeled and sliced)
- 750ml water
- 1 heaped tsp of vegetable stock powder
- freshly ground black pepper and lemon juice to taste
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Lower the heat and add the onion, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes. Stir in the cummin and cook for a further two minutes. Then add the red pepper and the sweet potato. Cook for a further five minutes, then add the water and the stock powder. Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 30 minutes.
Turn off the heat, Blend with a hand blender (or liquidise) and add black pepper and lemon juice to taste
Serve with croutons (two slices of wholemeal bread cubed, mixed with 2 tbsp of oil, grilled on a baking sheet, turning over occasionally).